Being the first day of summer I think I need to celebrate one of the very best seasonal fruits.
Strawberries!!! (check this baby out, you know that is going to be one of the best things you put in your mouth all day).
Strawberries sit just behind fresh Mango on my list of favorite fruits and at the moments there are some good looking berries on the shelves. So here is a cupcake recipe that is lower on sugar and free from bad fats and crappy ingredients just to celebrate the three punnets of these I bought today.
As a bonus there are also pistachios in these so you can use them as a Christmas themed treat! (mental note, wait for cupcakes to cool before icing and photographing to prevent melty pictures)
Zesty Strawberry and Pistachio Cupcakes
80g Coconut Oil, room temp
1/3 cup brown sugar, or other choice of sugar
4 Packets of Stevia
1/2 tsp Vanilla Essence
1 1/4 cup of Wholemeal Spelt Flour
1 1/4 tsp baking powder
3/4 cup of Pistachios, ground
Juice of two small lemons
1 tbs of almond milk (or milk of choice)
1. Set you oven to 180 degrees Celsius OR 355 Fahrenheit.
2. Using and electric mixer blend together the coconut oil, sugar and stevia until it is combined and a little creamy in texture. You may need to soften the oil a little if it is cold.
3. Blend in the eggs until the mixer creates soft peaks.
4. Sift in your flour and backing powder then add the pistachios and strawberries to your bowl and fold until just combined, it may seem a little dry near the end of mixing but that is ok.
5. Add in your lemon juice, milk and vanilla essence then mix again until just combined. If you find that your lemons where juicer then expected your mix may need to add a little flour one table spoon at a time to thicken it. The mix should be a little thicker then pancake mix.
6. Spoon you mix evenly into your cupcake tin (make sure you have either oiled the tin or but in cupcake papers first) and put them in the oven.These will take 18-20 min to cook, check them by gently pressing the tops down, they are ready when they spring back immediately under your touch.
I made these to suite sweet seeking taste buds so if you have a very mild sweet tooth you could probably take even more sugar out of these as the lemon adds quite a bit of sweetness.
What fruits are you enjoying most at the moment? If you are on the side of the world where its getting into winter, what fruits are you missing?